Construction Law/Prilims under Lump Sum contract

Dear John,

I am working for a project management company in Qatar for building contract project. The project is a Lump sum contract & Fidic 99 (first edition) has been used as General Condition of Contract.

The contractor have submitted a organization chart after commencement date of the project showing all the required technical & administrative staff for the project. But now we have noticed that, the contractor & nominated sub contractor have reduced their key staff from the site, due to this, client facing problem in delivering the project on time and afraid of the quality of project.

Please explain me how to handle this situation,
Is the organization chart applicable through out the project or varies?
Is the client entitled to reduce the prelims from the Lump sum?

Dear Mohamed,

Thank you for this question.

Unless the contract requires and defines a (minimum) level of supervision/administrative from the Contractor at all times the matter will be at the Contractor's discretion unless and until the Employer claims and can demonstrate that the actual performance on site will not be sufficient to meet the obligations set by the contract or the Engineer assesses that to be the position.

The adopted form of contract passes risk from the Employer to the Contractor but leaves the Contractor more freedom in the management. The Contract also defines the Employer's remedies in the event of non-performance.

You have expressed that the Employer has concerns but you have not stated the basis for such concern.

It would be very unusual for the organisation chart to have any contractual standing. The Contractor is obliged to provide suitable levels of resources, and that will vary from time to time through the project; however the Employer is not entitled to reduce the prelims. from the lump sum only for the reason of the Contractpr providing fewer resources.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister