Construction Law/defects on project

Question
WE HAVE RECENTLY COMPLETED A ROAD PROJECT UNDER FIDIC 1987, WE HAVE APPLIED FOR THE TOC AT THE TIME OF THE SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION ON 30TH APRIL 2011 BUT THE ENGINEER DID NOT ISSUE THE TOC WITHING 21 DAYS. HE ISSUED THE TOC IN FEB 2013 WRITING THAT IAM GOING TO ISSUE THE TOC AS THE WORK WAS SUSTANTIAALY COMPLETED ON 30TH APRIL 2011. IN APRIL 2011 HE HANDED OVER TO US A LIST OF THE DEFECTS. HE GIVEN TO US A LONG LIST ON LATER STAGE SAYING THAT CONTRACTER IS BOUND TO RECTIFY THE DEFECTS IN DL PERIOD, EITHER TEY ARE INCREASED. WE ARE AT THE OPENION THAT AS PER CLAUSE 49.2 (a)Complete the work, if any, outstanding on the date stated in the Taking over Certificate as soon as practicable after such date . ARE WE BOUND TO REMOVE ALL THE DEFECTS OR ONLY THOSE DEFECTS WHICH EXISTS AT THE TIME OF TOC?

Answer
Dear masood,

NET ETIQUETTE SAYS THAT WRITING IN CAPITALS IS CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING AND NO ONE LIKES BEING SHOUTED AT.

It all depends on the cause of the defect.  If they are due to non-compliant workmanship or materials, then the Contractor must repair those defects at his own cost.  If they are due to poor design or specification, then the Employer must pay for the defects to be repaired.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott