Construction Law/EOT & Engineer Determination

Dear Peter ,

The FEDEC 99 stated in Clause 3.1 ( The Engineer Duties & Authority )

- The Engineer Shall obtain a specific approval of the Employer prior agreeing or determining any Extension Of Time and / or additional Cost .  

While Clause 3.5 ( Determination) : The Engineer shall give notice to all parties of each agreement or determination and each party shall give effect of each agreement or determination unless and until revised under clause 20 (Claims , Disputes & Arbitration).  

Based on the above , Please advise if the Engineer can issue his determination for EOT claim regardless the Employer approval .

Dear Ghaith,

Nothing is perfect and you will find other discrepancies within conditions of contract.  They are being resolved slowly.  In this case the priority of the clauses affects the procedure.  The Engineer has to apply clause 3.1 before applying 3.5.  If he issues his determination without the Employer's approval, then he is in breach of his contract with the Employer and could be liable for the Employer's extra costs. If the Employer should delay approval unreasonably, then there are legal solutions, but these are expensive and take time.  

I suggest that Engineer gets the Employer's approval to his determination without delay, which is not possible in all circumstances.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering