Construction Law/Fidic 1987 - variations - Loss of Profit of Omitted work

Question
Dear Mr Elliott,

I am currently working in highway infrastructure project in Cyprus and we seem to have a situation/issue with the engineer. Our contract is a translated version of the Fidic 1987 red book. Our situation is as follows:

-During tendering we priced for 2500m of 1000mm concrete pipes for drainage works.
-Without any variation order we constructed only 1400m as was our requirement found in the drawings. There was a not so clear mistake in the BOQ.
-The engineer claims this was simply a mistake and not a variation order entitling us to a new rate.

Questions:

1. What actually constitutes a variation under Fidic 1987? If quantities increase or decrease substantially without a variation order does this constitute a variation?
2. How can we use clauses 51 and 52 in this instance?
3. If clauses 51 and 52 do not apply how can we proceed?
4. Can the contractor claim for a loss of profit on omitted work and how can this be calculated and presented? (Please elaborate on this)

Thank you for your time

Answer
Dear Adonis,

1. Variations are defined by clause 51.1.  Cause 51.2 states :-

"Provided that no instruction shall be required for increase or decrease in the quantity of any work where such increase or decrease is not the result of an instruction given under this Clause, but is the result of the quantities exceeding or being less than those stated in the Bill of Quantities."  

Thus a variation order is not needed if the original measurement was incorrect.  

2. Only clause 52.3 applies, but you must wait until the Taking Over Certificate is issued before issuing a claim.  Any loss of profit or reduced overhead recovery is recovered through a new rate for the pipes.  You might include part of the cost of a new factory for pipes.

3. See answer 2

4. See answer 2.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott