Construction Law/Termination of contract

Question
QUESTION: Dear Florin
hello
I have two contracts which are terminated by the client under clause 15.2 of MDB FIDIC1999 pink book.
1. in one contract agreement ,contract was signed on 29.06.2011 for the period of 18 months to complete the project and date of commencement was 19.07.2011. After expiry of contract period progress was in terms financial  54% .The Engineer has served various notices as per clause 15.1 to the contractor but no improvement has noticed for the acceleration of progress.Finally Engineer has recommended action of termination under clause 15.2(a) &(c)(i) termination of contract. Employer has terminated the contract as per recommendation of Engineer and exercise to invoke the Bank guarantees of Mobilisation advance and of Performance security by giving the notice of 14 days.

2.In another contract agreement, contract was signed on 29.06.2011 for the period of 24 months to complete the project and date of commencement was 27.07.2011. After expiry of 96% contract period progress was in terms financial 32% .The Engineer has served various notices as per clause 15.1 to the contractor but no improvement has noticed for the acceleration of progress.Finally Engineer has recommended action of termination under clause 15.2(a) &(c)(i) termination of contract. Employer has terminated the contract as per recommendation of Engineer and exercise to invoke the Bank guarantees of Mobilisation advance and of Performance security by giving the notice of 14 days.

Contractor has claimed that action of termination as well as the action to invoke the bank guarantee is against the contract agreement.
My questions are that;

1. Action of termination taken by the authority. Does has the right to invoke the bank guarantees given by the contractor against payment of Mobilisation advance and for Performance security before expiry of notice period of 14 days?
2. Can you clarify that notice of !4 days is necessary or not to terminate the contract under clause 15.2?
3. How the contractor can claim under the contract agreement, the action to invoke the bank guarantee is against the provisions of contract agreement?

Thanks and regards are in advance.I hope an early reply in this matter.

Sanjay

ANSWER: Dear Samna,

Thank you for your questions.

I take you also contend the contracts termination. You may probably request the Engineer to indicate which Sub-Clause of Clause 8 are they invoking, but with such rates of progress, do not expect much sympathy.

In respect of bank guarantees:

- for the Advance Payment, you must've started already to recover it and assume you have also provided a bank guarantee (probably the Bank guarantees of Mobilisation that you mentioned). The portion of the Advance Payment that has not been recovered, is to be recovered from that bank guarantee, but only up to that amount.

- Performance Guarantee: Employer can take out of it, only as much as they can reasonably claim as losses. As that include re-doing the tender dossier, re-launching the tender, etc, which means wasting of time and money, it is possible to justify quite a large amount out of it, or even all, but again, they must make a calculation to demonstrate/ substantiate the loss they suffer.

As for the 14 days, I assume you are referring to those indicated under Sub-Clause 15.2:

- yes, Contract can not be terminated prior that;

- that period does not refer to cashing the bank guarantees.

Hope that answers your queries, if any further issues, please get back to me.

QUESTION: Dear Florin Neculescu
Hello
Thanks for an early response;My further query is that ;
Can Employer invoke the termination notice? if the contractor will successful to convince the Employer; to complete the work within a reasonable time by enhancing the deployment of machinery and manpower and within the conditions of agreement.
Thanks in advance for your great efforts.
With due regards
SANJAY

Answer
Dear Sanjay,

Thank you for coming back.

I am somewhat uncertain what do you mean by "Can Employer invoke the termination notice?", but if you think about convincing the Employer to give you one more chance, despite having issued the termination notice, that is of course possible.

It should be sufficient a notice from their side, saying they suspend the 14 days deadline until a certain period, when your progress shall be reviewed and a decision in respect of proceeding with the termination, or continuing the contract, shall be taken.

If that's not your actual question, please come back to me with clarifications.

Hope that helps.

Construction Law

Florin NICULESCU