Construction Law/Variation under FIDIC 1987

Question
Dear Mr. Peter,

For instance, we issued the Tender Documents including the BOQ with quantities based on the Tender drawings. Lets consider the underground water tank.

The Tenderer has changed the quantities (they increased) and has established their total Tender amount. The Contract was awarded to this Tenderer.

The Client has decided to increase the capacity of this under ground water tank for future purposes thus making is extend more than 3 meters off the ground and some other modifications.

Now the question is as follows:

As an Engineer, even though the Contract is lump sum, can we evaluate this variation as omission and addition?

Whereas we will omit the quantities (they increased) changed by the Contractor during Tender stage and multiplied by the rates they stipulated in the Contract BOQ,

and add the new quantities based on the revised construction drawings multiplied by the same rate as stipulated in the Contract BOQ.

Answer
Hi Jeffrey,

A lump sum contract and BoQ's is an oxymoron, unless the purpose of the BoQ is defined very clearly.  Obviously some one had no idea of what they were doing when they prepared the tender documents.  So the Contractor adjusted the quantities - another potential problem. Yes you can evaluate the revised capacity of the tank as a variation.  Who is responsible for the design?  Will the walls and base slab need thickening or strengthening because of the increased depth of water?  Will the foundations need to be adapted for the increased load?  A 3m increase in depth is no small matter.

It is does not matter how you adjust the Contract Price as long as the Contractor agrees.  I suggest that you ask the Contractor to price the variation before you instruct it.  Then you can decide whether or not it is cost effective to use him or to let a separate contract.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott