Construction Law/Bill of Quantities

I am looking after anew bridge construction Project under FIDIC MDBH June 2010 edition. In the BOQ of the Contract, description of Item for reinforcement is "Reinforcement in superstructure as per AASHTO M-31 grade 60". There is no separate item for substructure reinforcement. The quantity given in the BOQ is sufficient for the superstructure and substructure.We are paying substructure reinforcement from the same item. Kindly tell me the procedure to justify this. In our General Specification there no separate item for superstructure or substructure. It only states "Reinforcement as per AASHTO M-31 grade 60". Probably the designer added "superstructure" by mistake.

Dear Mohammad Aqeel Ahmad,

Thank you for this question.

Is there a quoted standard method of measurement for your project; If so I suggest that is used to guide you.

In my experience it is customary to measure separately work in foundations from work in superstructure. Usually the foundation is in larger quantities and, therefore, there may be pricing advantages. Conversely the superstructure work is usually in smaller quantities by area and subject to higher prices.

My suggestion is that you consider how you would evaluate rates and prices if you separated the items. The parties can agree that the rate s may be the same.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister