Construction Law/"Event" - EOT Claim Fidic '87

Hi Peter,
Trust all is well with you in the UK..!

I have a contract which has conditions based around FIDIC '87 and as usual a delay has occurred and EOT submitted. In Middle East it is common for all Contract Documents to be issued prior to start of the works, which includes 'Issue For Const Drwgs'

Question: The Contract Documents include a tender programme which indicates that the IFC Drwgs are to be issued on Day 1 of the contract. The Full Contract Documents were not issued until a month later due to insurance issues with the Client and a late change of wording requiring signatures etc.

Is this delay the responsibility of the Client?..OR is it to be considered an 'event' under the conditions of contract which the contractor should have submitted an EOT claim...?

The Contractor is not responsible for preparation of the documents as this is carried out by the Engineer and passed to the Employer.

Can the Engineer ignore the Tender programme as a tender document??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Neil Fox

Dear Neil,

When delays and extensions of time are mentioned, I suggest that people download and study the SCL Delay and Disruption Protocol, even if it is not written into the Contract.  It is a good guide to the basics of a claim for an EoT.  

Even if the delay is the responsibility of the Employer, the Contractor must still submit a claim for an EoT.  You have to prove that the late issue of the drawings delayed a critical activity on your programme, and by how much, irrespective of what was shown in the tender programme.  If the delay did not delay a critical activity, then you will have problems justifying your claim for an EoT.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering