Construction Law/FIDIC 2010

Question
kindly expalin the procedure of making dispute resolution board

imran sattar

Answer
Dear Imran

Thanks for your question. I will try to briefly explain the procedure for the appointment of Dispute Board under FIDIC MDB Harmonized edition 2010. Under Fidic 2010, all disputes are to be referred to the Dispute Board (DB)to be appointed by the parties by the date stated in the Contract Data. However, the appointment is generally delayed which is not a good practice.

The DB may comprise a single member or three members. Sub Clause 20.2 of the Conditions of Contract spells out the procedure for the appointment of the DB members. For a single member DB, both the parties shall agree on a single member jointly nominated. It can be picked from a list of potential candidates (if any)given/ agreed and included in the Contract Data or can be a Professional in the relevant field of construction having knowledge about contractual interpretation. In case of a 'Three Member DB', each party shall nominate one member for the approval of the other party. The first two members,thus nominated and approved, shall then recommend a third member to be the Chairman of the DB, and the parties shall agree to the recommendation. The members shall be fluent in the language of communication mentioned in the Contract, shall be a professional in the field of construction involved and shall have knowledge of interpretation of contract documents.

In case the parties do not agree on the appointment of a member or the chairman, then the matter shall be referred to the Appointing Authority (sub Clause 20.3) mentioned in the Contract Data, who after consultation with the parties, shall appoint the member which decision shall be final and conclusive. In Pakistan, we generally mention 'Pakistan Engineering Council' as the Appointing Authority.

Each Member including the chairman shall then enter into separate tripartite General Conditions  of Dispute Board Agreements with the parties to agree upon the remuneration and other terms. A suggested sample form of this agreement is annexed to the Contract Document, which may be amended to suit the requirements.

The Dispute board is said be constituted upon the signing of the tripartite agreements and is notified to all concerned. There upon all dispute are referred to the Dispute Board.

I hope this answers your question. However, you are always welcomed for any further clarification. I think you have still not read this answer. Please read it, rate it and if you need any clarification, kindly feel free to ask again.  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan