Construction Law/Price Adjustment

Question
Dear Peter,

I had infrastructure project under FIDIC Red book which for some particular items price adjustment is applied using the formula expressed in the Contract, one of them is asphalt work.
I face complicated situation, my country now is still facing economic turmoil since currency crash until the lowest level within last 5 years. As asphalt is kind of imported product and i shall pay the product in $ but we are paid by the owner in local currency (Rp.)therefore the price/cost of asphalt product increase significantly. No body can control this situation   

My question are:
1. Could i claim for price increase due to such economic turmoil since in my opinion it can be called as unforeseen condition?   
2. If claim for price increase is applicable, what about price adjustment (escalation) , can i claim both for same item?

widyapraja

Answer
Dear widyapraja,

You do not mention if you are using FIDIC 4 or FIDIC 99. As they have different treatments for claims, my comments will be generic.

1.  It is unlikely that your claim would be acceptable under FIDIC conditions of contract, but there could be justification under the Civil code in Indonesia.  I have no experience of the Civil Code in Indonesia, so I cannot help you there. If you have an inflation clause, then this clause is expected to cover, in part, any extra costs due to increased prices or fluctuating exchange rates.  
2. You can claim only for actual costs, so you cannot claim twice for the same cost.  Your claim would be for the extra costs, which were not covered by the inflation clause.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott