Construction Law/Short operation period contract/FIDIC Gold Book

Dear Expert,

I'm reading FIDIC Gold Book.  Last paragraph in the Introduction of Particular Conditions Part B - Special Provision states "Users of DBO form of contract who wish to amend and use the document for a 'brown field' scenario for the operation of an existing facility, or where an operation period significantly different to the 20-year period assumed in this document, are referred to the forthcoming FIDIC DBO Contract Guide (planned for publication by FIDIC at a later date), for guidance and assistance identifying those clauses and procedures which may need amending".
However, I could not find such a information in FIDIC DBO Contract Guide. I would like to know how to amend the document for the operation period significantly different to the 20-year period, i.e. 5-year period.
Could you kindly guide me to  where I should read.

Thank you

Dear Hirofumi,

Thank you for your question.

It is a fairly extensive exercise and to answer properly, we would probably need to work side by side for some hours.

But as we are in different parts of the world and that is not possible, I would suggest the following approach:

- read carefully the Gold Book, to make sure you understand how it functions, to understand the whole mechanism, especially in respect of type of works (green field vs. brown) and the operation period. Drafting Particular Conditions is rather for learned people.

- identify what exactly do you need differently from the Book.

- start making some draft changes of the original text, to fit your needs.

Once you have done that, come back to this site and propose for discussion/ advice the modifications you have drafted.

I appreciate it might not be the answer you're looking for, but in the given circumstances, I believe it's the best way.

Hope that helps.

Construction Law

Questions related to Civil Engineering Contracts, using FIDIC or other Conditions of Contract, concerning Procurement procedures and documents (pre-qualification, tendering and contracting) and Services/ Works Contracts implementation matters including Determinations, Payments, Time Extensions, VOs, Claims/Disputes. Additionally, questions related to dealing with International Financing Institutions. Can also answer questions in Romanian. Can not answer improperly formulated questions.

Over 20 years of experience in the field of design, works supervision, construction, management of aid funds and technical assistance for various types of contracts implementation, including severe conflictual contractual situations leading to Claims and disputes. Claims/ Contract management, Disputes adjudication, Arbitration.

Member of Romanian Professional Association of Roads and Bridges; Listed on President's List of Adjudicators of Romanian Association of Consulting Engineers Former member of the Disputes Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF) of United States – nominee on DRBF President’s Disputes Board Members List and of DRBF Chapter for Eastern Europe Former member of Polish Association of Consulting Engineers (SIDiR) – nominee on SIDiR President’s Disputes Board Members National List Member of “” volunteers pool Member of the "Constructions Disputes Resolution Services” International Panel of Construction ADR Specialists" of United States

- Graduate in 1994 the Construction Institute - Graduate of several FIDIC,Procurement and other courses - Graduate of first Disputes Board Members Mentoring Scheme ( - FIDIC Accredited Adjudicator

- Several State organisations/Ministries , such as Ministry of Transport, National Admistration of Roads, Ministry of Regional Development (former Ministry of European Integration), Public Works and Housing, Central Contracting and Financing Unit in Romania and also in Turkey, Croatia and Macedonia - Numerous Western based private consultancy companies - full CV and other relevant information available at