Construction Law/Siginificant Q'ty increase

Question
Dear Mr. Peter,

In the Re-Measurement Contract, is it available to apply new rate for the item increased significantly.

All the rate is already specified in the Contract BOQ and Contract clauses state that the rate shall not be deemed to be only confined to the original q'ty.

I acknowledge that the cost additional q'ty shall apply same rate, but the cost impact due to the lower rate is too much huge.

Can you please advise something to overcome this difficulties.

Answer
Dear Choi,

My apologies for the delayed response.  

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law, so the following comments will be generic in nature.  The theory is that all rates reflect the actual cost of providing the materials and work plus a bit for overheads and profit.  If you have underpriced a particular item, then you have to live with the effect when the quantities are increased.  When I am awarded a contract, I always check for errors, based on principle that if I had not made a mistake, then I would not be the cheapest.  Once I have found the errors, then I do my best to minimise them.  All you can do is ask the Employer for mercy.  There is a provision in some contracts for the Engineer to vary the contract price, when the taking over certificate is issued, if he considered that the varied quantities had created an injustice. Generally the effect is to reduce the rates due to over recovery of overheads and profit.  Next time I suggest that you price items more carefully.  

I regret that I cannot give you a more hopeful answer and I hope that you survive this experience.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott