Construction Law/FIDIC 1999 Sub Clause 11.3

Question
Dear Sir,

Please clarify the meaning of this statement in Sub Clause 11.3 in FIDIC 1999..
"If delivery and/or erection of Plant and/or Materials was suspended under Sub-Clause 8.8 [ Suspension of Work ] or Sub-Clause 16.1 [ Contractor’s Entitlement to Suspend Work ], the Contractor’s obligations under this Clause shall not apply to any defects or damage occurring more than two years after the Defects Notification Period for the Plant and/or Materials would otherwise have expired."

Thank You!

Answer
Dear Fernendo

I found this question in the pool and just would like to answer. Please accept the answer although it is late. To understand the meaning of the clause I will explain it with the following example:

Suppose the Completion Period of a Contract is 36 months and the Defect Notification period (DNP) is 24 months (Total 60 months).The Employer is entitled to extend the DNP by a maximum of 24 months, thereby the total period including the extended DNP comes out to be 84 months.

Suppose the contract has been delayed by 4 months due to some reason, therefore the extended completion Period now expires after 40 months and the period including DNP comes to 64 months. AS the Employer is entitled to extend the DNP by a maximum of another 24 months period thereby the total period, including extended DNP, ending after 88 months.

Now suppose that the delay of 4 months as mentioned above, is because of reasons mentioned in the second para of the clause 11.3 and which are mentioned in your question also (Clause 8.8 and 16.1) then the Contractor's obligations under this Clause shall not apply to any defects or damage occurring more than two years after the Defects Notification Period for the Plant and/or Materials would otherwise have expired i.e a total period 84 months (including extended DNP)will be considered and not 88 months.

I hope the issue is now clear. Once again sorry for the delayed response. If any clarification is needed please convey it to me.

Abdul Majid Khan  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan