Construction Law/FIDIC 2010 pink book

Question
expalin the procedure regarding the award of EOT interim and full as per pink book.

contract period is nine months and due to major design change need eight month more to complete the project.

Answer
Dear Imran

Thank you for the question. I hope by now you should be able to know about the rating procedure. Whenever you receive an answer by email, you are asked to click on a link to view the format of the answer. At the end there is a button, which when pressed ask for the rating.

Now we come to your question. The original contract period is nine months and the required EOT is for 8 months. This means that there are major design changes involved. I understand that these changes might have occurred at a later stage of original completion period.

For an EOT to be admissible the contractor must submit an EOT request under Clause 8.4 of the COC stating the reasons of delay and demonstrating that the EoT has been requested due to any or all the reasons mentioned in the request and the amount of delay in each case. If he had already submitted a program of Works then he has to demonstrate that the delay is disturbing the Critical Path, because activities other than on the critical path always have certain amount of float. The EOT request should be for net delay in the critical path due to the reasons mentioned. The contractor can propose to use additional resources than those committed in the Contract to achieve early completion that the delay anticipated, but it may involve further additional costs.

The Engineer has to check whether the delay shown in the program is only attributable to the design changes and causes attributable to the Employer or there are other other causes attributable to the Contractor. Moreover the Engineer has to check whether the delays mentioned in the EOT request are concurrent or linearly distributed. Taking all this into account, the Engineer may recommend the total time extension which are attributable to the Employer. It may include the delay attributable to the Contractor if those are less than the delays attributable to the Contractor. The delays attributable to the contractor must be known and recorded as these will be used while assessing the cost element involved. For this purpose I will recommend to Consult SCL protocol for delay claims which is very useful in such cases.

An interim EOT is issued only when there is an urgent requirement, and without granting interim EOT, the payments to be made to the contractor may stop or when the processing of the EOT needs much longer periods of time due to its complex nature or sometimes due to the bureaucratic attitude of the Employers. In that case the Engineer is required to recommend an Interim EOT to remove this impediment and the contract run smoothly. For this purpose he may recommend an Interim EOT, which should be much less than the admissible EOT but good enough to cater for the time in which the whole process of granting the EOT is completed. It is always to be kept in mind that the total EOT to be granted should never be less than the Interim EOT.

I hope this answers your question.

ABDUL MAJID KHAN  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan