Construction Law/FIDIC New Red Book Sub clause 1.9

Dear Sir,

In Sub clause 1.9 of FIDIC 1999, it says that "The Contractor shall give notice to the Engineer whenever the Works are likely to be delayed or disrupted......"
It further states that , If the Contractor suffers delay and/or incurs Cost as a result of a failure of the Engineer to issue the notified drawings or instruction, the Contractor shall give further notice to the Engineer and entitled subject  to Sub clause 20.1

My question is, the Contractor fails to give notice when the works are likely to be delayed (1st notice). But he gives the notice when he suffers delay. Is the Contractor entitled subject to Sub clause 20.1?

Dear Fernando,

The intention of clause 1.9 is to allow the Employer to mitigate any potential delay.  It could be considered that you have given notice if you have issued a programme of works stating when you need particular information, even if it did not comply with the formal requirements for giving notices.

The award under clause 20.1 might be reduced, if you have not given the notice, but your right to claim is still valid. I think that the Engineer would have difficulty in justifying any reduction, but then everything is possible.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering