Construction Law/Issuance of Payment Certificate

Question
Dear Peter,

Under Subclause 60.2 of the 1987 FIDIC conditions of Contract it is stipulated that the payment certificate shall be issued to the Employer however no mention that it should be equally issued to the Contractor. The Engineer does not want to issue the certificate to the Contractor based on the above.

The question is can the Contractor seek a copy of the certificate and under which clause of the conditions.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Hany,

I can think of no reason why an honest Engineer would refuse to issue a copy of his certificate to the Contractor.  You need a copy for a multitude of reasons, including preparation of the following statement of account.  This refusal is a recipe for disaster.  I would be very suspicious of such a refusal, as it could mean that the IPC was issued late, or that there was a major difference between the IPC and your statement of account; perhaps due to claims.  You will eventually discover the reason when payment is made, but it could be some time if the Employer is delaying payment.  Unfortunately, I cannot find any contractual support for your request for a copy of the IPC when issued to the Employer.

Obviously, you do not have good relations with the Engineer.  I would try to improve relationships with the Engineer and consider very carefully any discussions relating to claims, variations and approvals.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott