Construction Law/New Contract or Addendum to Contract

Question
Dear Peter,

Im a client using the Fidic 1999, we are currently working with a contractor and after we signed the contract many variations to the contract have occurred.As per our agreed conditions of contract,  variations can only exceed 25% of the total contract.

Hence, my question is, should i proceed with issuing a new contract to the contractor taking into consideration that the time of completion will change due to the numerous variations or should i proceed with an addendum to the original contract and also adjust the contract amount as well as the duration? My concern is if i issue a new contract the original contract will no longer exist due to the new contract duration and amount. Please note that this is a remeasured contract.

thank you and awaiting your prompt feedback.

Answer
Dear Nelly,

I'm not sure that I understand your question. 'variations can only exceed 25% of the total contract' Do you mean 'variations canNOT only exceed 25% of the total contract.'  I do understand why it should be written that variations can only exceed 25% of the total contract.

It all depends on the reason for the limitation on the variations.  If it is internal procedures of the employer or funder, then you must get approval for the addendum.  In any case, for me it is better to issue an addendum with everyone's agreement, rather than start a new contract. A new contract, for the varied work only, will not cancel the original contract, unless it is written thus in the new contract.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott