Construction Law/Progress Reports

We are using FIDIC Yellow Book. We have handed over the work in May 2013. The Enginner still want us to submit monthly progress report. Article 4.21 stated among others " Reporting shall continue until the Contractor has completed all works which is known to be outstanding as at the completion date stated in the Taking-Over Certificate for the Works". At the moment we are still carrying out rectification works for defects stated in the Taking-Over Certificate for the Works.

Do we still need to submit, if so until when?

Dear Wong,

It is a contractual requirement to submit monthly reports "until the Contractor has completed all works which is known to be outstanding as at the completion date stated in the Taking-Over Certificate for the Works".  I am not sure what is unclear in this requirement.  If you have completed all the outstanding works stated in the Taking-over Certificate, then you do not need to submit further progress reports.  If they are incomplete then you must submit the reports.  

It seems sensible to me that these reports should be issued monthly, so that the Employer, and the Engineer, can see your progress to complete the outstanding works.  However, I would not expect it to take more than two months for the outstanding works to be completed and thus I would expect that no more than two reports would be submitted after the date of the Taking Over Certificate.  However, you may know better and need to submit more reports.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering