Construction Law/Warranty

Question
I am an electrical contractor who just finished up an apartment project. The owner is now publicly bidding a solar addition for these apartments. My question is if they have another company do this work (which would entail doing work on the utility meter which is connected to every electrical component in the apartment), is it legal for us to void our warranty on all electrical components?
Thanks

Answer
Dear Jason,

Thank you for this question.

The principal issue is whether the future work will or is likely to cause damage to your installations. You cannot simply void the warranty unilaterally, however, if true you can formally advise the owner that its proposed modification is likely to render the warranties void as the installed equipment is not intended to be used in the manner in which the owner now intends.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse