Construction Law/Change the project Site

Question
Dear Mr. Peter,

I am a design Consultant, I have signed a contract with a Client to design a building, the contract is governed by FIDIC Client/ Consultant Model of agreement edition ( 4 ) 2006 After we have agreed and signed a contract based on a defined location and building built up area and even we have completed the preparing the topography plan and progressing the concept design tasks, he has sent us a letter that he is changing the location of the project to another location and the built up area with be bigger than what agreed.

What are my contractual entitlements in this situation

Thanks a lot

Mohammed Khair Mohammadieh

Answer
Dear Mohammed Khair,

The Client has changed the basis of the contract, so you are entitled to reimbursement of all your reasonable extra costs.  I suggest that you seek reimbursement for all your work to date, including the topography plan, plus an increased fee based on the revised built up area. Of course, you may wish to discuss the problem with your client before submitting the claim.  You must make the choice if you are likely to lose your client through increased costs, but I would never work at a loss.  Once you start on that slippery slope, you will be exploited for the rest of your working life.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott