Construction Law/Interpretation of Clause

I would like to inquire about the interpretation of the below Clause.

Clause 5: Project Duration and delivery:
5.1- The Contractor hereby commits to deliver the Project within a period of maximum 28 months from the date the Contractor obtains the construction permit that is expected to be obtained within a period of maximum 8 months from the Contract signature date.
5.2-In case the Contractor fails to deliver the Project within a period of maximum 3 months from the date the period stipulated in Clause 5.1 is completed, then the Contractor shall pay liquidated damages of a value of ---$/day until project is actually delivered.

Could you please advise of the contractual duration the Contractor is entitled to to deliver the Project, bearing in mind that:
A- as per the Contractor interpretation, duration is 31 months from the date of the permit acquisition.
B- as per my interpretation, duration is 39 months from the Contract Signature date.

Look forward to receiving your feedback and remain available for any clarifications required

Hi Georges
The way I read it is:
Contract Signature 0 month
Expected construction Permit 8 months
Project delivery 8 months + 28 months = 36 months max
Start date of LD's = 36 months + 3 months = 39 months Max
I hope that helps
Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro

Anything related to extensions of time and delay analysis.

45 years in the Construction Industry 15 Years as a consultant delay analyst - I now hold myself to be expert in this field.

Society of Construction Law Adjudication Society ex Planning Engineers Organisation

6 articles on the relevance of the India Contract Act 1872 and its relevance to modern construction in India. Waiting Publication

Associate Member of the Institue of Building

Currently employed in India by Punj Lloyd as expert delay analyst. Engaged in ongoing arbitrations and EoT claims. Prior an Indepenent consultant in delay analysis.