Construction Law/Novation

Hello Sir, my question is the following:
Suppose there's a pending claim  between a Subcontractor and the Contractor (which is not going to be settled anytime soon) and the Contractor has agreed with the Employer to novate all the Subcontracts to the Employer himself (Contractor wants to get out of the project). How can the novation process take place in light of the above mentioned claim? knowing that, from the Subcontractor's point of view, both the Contractor and the Employer at at fault in relation to this submitted claim.
Can the Subcontractor go ahead with the novation and transfer the claim altogether against the Employer? what do you think is the best step for the Subcontractor?

Best Regards

Dear Abed,

An interesting question.  Now is the time when you have greatest leverage, if the main contractor wants to get out of the project.  I suggest that you get your claim resolved, even at a slightly lower figure, before you accept the novation.  I suggest that the Contractor is likely to renounce all claims as part of his exit strategy.  If he renounces all claims, then the Employer will not allow you to transfer a claim against the Contractor to the Employer.  Alternatively, get your right to the claim written into the novation agreement, but this would be a dangerous, and potentially expensive, strategy.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering