Construction Law/Remedy Available to MC & NSC of dispute in certified payment

Question
Hope you are well.
I am working as a QS in a construction contractor in HK.
Would you please advise  the remedy available to the Main Contractor (MC) and the Nominated Subcontractor (NSC) respectively under the Building Contract in the situation of a dispute in the amount of the certified payment and a default in honouring of the certified payment.

Answer
Dear Annie Soo,

You do not mention the form of contract, nor the applicable law, so the following comments are generic.  

I am unfamiliar with the law in Hong Kong.  In UK, the Main Contractor has to follow certain statutory procedures before he can withhold payment of a certificate.  If he does not follow the procedures, then he is penalised for any non-payment.  Also in UK, adjudication is mandatory.  

What procedures are included in the Conditions of Contract for dispute resolution.  If there are none, try amicable settlement.  If that does not solve the problem, then you must get legal advice and start a court case.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott