Construction Law/Building Maintenance Contract

Question
Hello Femi,

PLease help me to determine what type of contract to be use for Building Maintenance. Is the COntract same as the Qatar GCOC and only fiffers in the scope of work? Please help me on this..\\\

Thank you in advance,
Rey

Answer
Dear Rey,

Thanks for your question.

I guess i would need to let you know that, there is difference between type of contract and form of contract. I guess you are talking about form of contract. For example, type of contract are lump sum contract, cost reimbursable contract, remeasurable contract, framework contract...etc while forms of contract could be FIDIC, JCT, NEC 3...etc. the forms of contract i mentioned are standards forms and there are still others that are "bespoke"...eg. the Qatar GCOC is a bespoke type because, it is used only for PWA works even though, it could be adapted by any user outside PWA.

So, if your question is "what standard forms can be used for a Building Maintenance, i will recommend a standard form like FIDIC but adapted to suit the project or structure and the peculiarity of the clients in question provided the extent of the maintenace works are known and are to be defined for execution and completion within a defined period otherwise, if it is to be a long term maintenance which the scope is not known or which the client intends to execute the works "as the need occurs", then, i will advise a retainership agreement (bespoke form) be put in place under a cost reimbursable type of contract.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Femi

Construction Law

Femi Alofe