Construction Law/Building Maintenance Contract

Hello Femi,

PLease help me to determine what type of contract to be use for Building Maintenance. Is the COntract same as the Qatar GCOC and only fiffers in the scope of work? Please help me on this..\\\

Thank you in advance,

Dear Rey,

Thanks for your question.

I guess i would need to let you know that, there is difference between type of contract and form of contract. I guess you are talking about form of contract. For example, type of contract are lump sum contract, cost reimbursable contract, remeasurable contract, framework contract...etc while forms of contract could be FIDIC, JCT, NEC 3...etc. the forms of contract i mentioned are standards forms and there are still others that are "bespoke" the Qatar GCOC is a bespoke type because, it is used only for PWA works even though, it could be adapted by any user outside PWA.

So, if your question is "what standard forms can be used for a Building Maintenance, i will recommend a standard form like FIDIC but adapted to suit the project or structure and the peculiarity of the clients in question provided the extent of the maintenace works are known and are to be defined for execution and completion within a defined period otherwise, if it is to be a long term maintenance which the scope is not known or which the client intends to execute the works "as the need occurs", then, i will advise a retainership agreement (bespoke form) be put in place under a cost reimbursable type of contract.

Hope this helps you.

Construction Law

Femi Alofe

I can answer all questions relating to the followings: 1. Contract Administration - variations, contract clauses interpretation, all post contract procedures, valuations and certificates questions, extension of time issues and prolongation cost matters. 2. Contract Practice - Any questions regarding forms of contract like JCT, FIDIC & other Bespoke forms. 3. Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems. 5. All FIDIC Conditions of contracts

Out of my 24 years experience in construction industry, i have the following specific experience: 1. Contract Administration - 15 years in contract administration with over 10yrs in Managerial positions covering africa and the middleeast. 2. Contract Practice - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions covering africa, north america and the middleeast. 3. All pre-contract procedures, Tendering, Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions - 20 years experience. 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions and 5 years expert witness and active practice in arbitration proceedings covering africa and the middleeast.

1. FAIQS - Fellow, Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, Australia 2. FRICS - Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, UK 3. CCP - Certified Cost Professional AACEI, USA 4. PQS - CIQS, CANADA 5. ACIArb. - CIArb, UK 6. MNIQS - NIQS, NIGERIA 7. RQS - QSRBN, NIGERIA

1. AACEI RP on Estimating, 2010

1. B.Tech (QS) 2. RICS professional course, CEM - UK 3. MSc , UK NARIC 4. Professional Doctorate ( to commence 2016)

1. Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Dubai UAE 2. Larsen & Toubro (oman) LLC 3. Archi + Web consortium, Abuja Nigeria 4. George Dike & Associates, Minna Nigeria 5. Public works Authority (Ashghal), Doha Qatar