Construction Law/Can the contractor claim for loss & expense even though its a neutral event ?

Question
It has been raining for 7 days. The construction progress has materially affected and has caused delay on work schedule.

Can the contractor claim for loss and expense although it is a neutral event (rain) ?

Answer
Dear Gervis yap,
you may claim for this event ONLY under following conditions:
1. You had maintained a work hindrance register jointly signed by the contractor and Engineer
2. you were on target except for the rains. If the engineer proves that, even if it had not rained, the contractor could not have completed since he had delayed the project for the reasons other than the rain. In that case, your claim will not be entertained.
hope this clarifies your question.
regards,
r.sivaraman  

Construction Law

R.Sivaraman