Construction Law/deduction under FIDIC 1999

Question
Hi John,
a quick one regarding 2 unauthorised deductions from an IPC by a main contractor m/c.
1. we have an unauthorised deduction from an IPC with no backup whatsoever ? m/c evades questions on this issue.
2. M/c deducted a tax amount from an IPC, which he was supposed to forward directly to the tax authorities and give us the tax certificate. He did not provide us the tax certificate as he previously did, which implies that he never paid the money to the tax man.
can you advise a route we may take in the above cases. We have a problem with this contract where the m/c hides behind FIDIC technicalities, only when they suit him, to commit acts of fraud.

Answer
Dear Jackie,

Thank you for this question.

Your primary remedy will depend upon the contract you have with the main contractors. If that contract provides for dispute resolution by Adjudication (DAB under FIDIC) I think that is your best option.

If you can provide further details of the contract I will be happy to consider this further.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse