Construction Law/FIDIC Yellow and Red Book

Question
Dear Sir,

There exists a contract opportunity and it is deemed to follow the guidelines of FIDIC Red Book and we as contractors are asked to sign a statement that we understand the conditions of FIDIC red book but in the same contract the client wants us the contractor to use FIDIC Yellow Book with a subcontractor due to the necessity of design; is this legally correct?

I understood that we as the contractor follow one contract with the client and we as the contractor can undertake whatever contract conditions we see fit with our subcontractors. If the client wanted involvment in all parts therefore the full contract should be FIDIC Yellow Book.

Thanking you and best regards

Paul

Answer
Dear Paul,

There is nothing wrong with using yellow book for the subcontractor if you have a red nook contract.  However.  Take care to ensure that the clauses are written correctly.  You might look at the FIDIC subcontract for red book contracts and see if there are clauses that should be included in the yellow book contract.  You can use red book for contractor's design if you wish and so the red book sub contract could be suitable for your subcontractor.  Yellow book tends to be used for design and build lump sum contracts.  Problems arise when the subcontractor is delayed by your action or inaction, but you are not delayed by the Employer's action or inaction.  Likewise, there are problems when the subcontractor delays your works or the works of other subcontractors.  Beware of your risks if you insist on a yellow book contract for your contract.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott