Construction Law/omission and reassigning the same work

Question
1)Can any work be omitted from a contractor's scope of main scope of work and assigned to a third party? If so what is the remedy for the contractor to have a rightful claim?

2)Same as above but the scope of work was provisional(which I interpret as measurable as all item rates are provided )

Does the contractor have a right to claim loss of profit in both the cases? If so is it on the original value or on the value of the actual work done by the third party assigned by the employer?

Shall appreciate your opinion on the above.

regards,

sampad

Answer
Hello Sampad,

Good evening and thanks for your question.

I am so impressed that you almost answered the questions yourself. Now i will complete the answer in the sequence which you have asked the questions:
Q1. I will say, it depends on the provisions of the contract. However, on a general note, most contract conditions do not permit omission of a contractor's scope of main works and awarding such omitted works to a third party. If then, the contract does not permit such and the employer does so, the remedy the contractor has is to apply for a reimbursement or compensation of any costs / losses and damages he may have suffered as a result of such omission of the works he has contracted with the employer which the employer has not just omitted for reasons of not desirous to have the job done as being necessary to be done for the completion of the works / done but, just for others to do. These losses may include but not limited (as may be evident / evidenced) loss of anticipated overheads and profit.

Q2 - Yes, same as above and this would be based on the value of such works carried out by the third party assigned by the employer.

Hope the above helps?

Femi

Construction Law

Femi Alofe