Construction Law/Pricing of variation orders

Question
Dear Mr. Elliot,
there is a work which is to be executed by our company, we didn't receive official variation order yet, but client has already requested the quotes. The Contract is FIDIC Harmonised Edition. We provided priced BoQ for the them, now the Client doesn't like our quotation and requests breakdown of the prices. My position is not to give any explanation and just inform them that they can find another contractor for this part of work because I don't intend to lower the prices and the BoQ is already detailed enough. Also the work which is to be executed based on variation affects the whole project and it is in our and Client's best interest to start it as fast as we can. My questions are:
1) Am I obliged to provide calculation for variation estimates?
2) Can Client force me to do the work at the prices I don't like?

Thank you in advance.

Answer
Dear Roman,

Q 1. You are not obligated to provide detailed calculations to support your variation estimates but see Q 2.  

Q 2. The Employer can issue you an instruction which you must comply with, including stating his rates for the work.  If you disagree with his rates, you must submit a claim under clause 20.1  within 28 days of receipt of the instruction.  In the case that the Employer does not agree your claim and you go to DAB or Arbitration, you will have to justify your claim including detailed calculations of your rates, so you might as well release them now.  Remember that any rates must be within the logic of the Contract.  In accordance with clause 12.3, any new rates must be based on existing rates where possible.  If the work is the same as existing work, then you must use the same rates.  You cannot increase a rate to correct a mistake, nor can the Employer reduce a rate if he thinks that it is too high.  So your detailed calculations merely have to refer to existing rates where possible.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott