Construction Law/Refuse

Question
Dear Mr. Peter M. Elliott,
We are a Contractor under the EPC contract, the type of contract condition is similar to fidic 1999, and the clause of CLAIMS, DISPUTES AND ARBITRATION is exactly same with fidic 1999ís.

The Employer/ The Engineer instructed us to carry out a work, we send notice of Variation Order but they replied that the work is under the contractorís original scope. After some discussion, all parties havenít reached any agreement on this issue yet. We donít want to do the work unless we get the Variation order confirmation, otherwise we want to refuse to carry out the work.

My question here is, are the Contractor entitled to a refusal in such case, do we have to responsible to any duties or payment Ö

Thank you very much.

T. T. Linh

Answer
Dear Tran Linh,

It would appear that there is a dispute here.  The reasons for refusing an instruction are few.  If you consider that the work cannot be done in the time for completion or the materials are not available, then you can advise the Engineer and he can cancel, confirm or vary the instruction.  If he confirms the instruction and repeats that it is part of the original scope of works, then your only course is to submit a claim under clause 20.1 within 28 days.  If the dispute cannot be resolved, then you have to go through the DAB, Amicable Settlement, Arbitration route.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott