Construction Law/Advance Payment Recovery

Question
Hello Peter Elliott,

We are the Project Managers on a project in Dubai & we are facing a peculiar situation, where the Cost Consultant is effecting advance payment recovery on the material-on-site whereas the advance payment was made only on the effective contract amount.

My advise to the team was to effect the advance payment recovery only on the gross amount of work done & not include the material-on-site. However, the employer's representative disagrees & is more than happy to recover the advance payment as early as possible. My contention is that the advance amount was made only on the effective contract amount, and, as such the recovery should be only on the gross value of work done. And, argument ER continues.....

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks & regards,

Vishwas

Answer
Dear Vishwas,

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law so the following comments are generic in nature.  

If you look at clause 14.3 of FIDIC 99, it is quite clear that repayments are calculated based on the work done in a month before the value of any materials on site is added to the IPC.  There are similar clauses in other contracts.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott