Construction Law/Daywork

Question
Dear Sir,
I want to know whether there is a limit or a percentage for dayworks in a Contract. If not, normally what is the maximum percentage for dayworks in a project?

Answer
Dear Madusha,

Good afternoon.

Permit me to apologise for delay in response.

I guess your question is relating to the percentage applicable as mark-up over and above the daywork rate or cost under a contract. If this is the question, then, my number would be as follows (if not let me know):

Regarding your question, ordinarily saying, there is no limit to the percentage mark-up upon day work rates. It varies from Contractor to Contractor or rather where it is the client that is specifying it, it varies from Client to Client as well. Similar to tender adjudication within Contractor's or Client's organisation where profit and overheads components are being decided, there are lot of factors being considered in the determination of the percentage. factors like risk components, infalation or escalation probabilities and also availabilities of of resources and logistics cost in relation to limited quantities which differ from bulk quantities in the original scope that could have been ordered in bulk orders. To the best of my experience, i have only seen up to 300% mark-up applied.

I hope this is clear?

Thanks.
Femi

Construction Law

Femi Alofe