Construction Law/FIDIC GCC Sub-Clause 12.3 (a) (iii)

Question
Dear Sir,
Kindly advise on the proper interpretation and calculation of the value (1%) mentioned in the subject Sub-Clause 12.3 (a) (iii)
"this change in quantity directly changes the Cost per unit quantity of this item by more than 1%".
For example:

As Per BoQ:

Item      Quantity   Unit    Rate      Amount
Concrete     100         CM     20,000      2,000,000

As Per Measured Quantity:

Item        Quantity   Unit    Rate      Amount
Concrete   200   CM   20,000      4,000,000

Kindly, guide, how to calculate this one percent (1%)for the above mentioned, BoQ Vs Measured Quantity.

Regards

Answer
Dear Shahbaz,

You must calculate the cost of producing the concrete due to the new quantity.  If it was produced manually in the first instance and now through a batch plant, then the cost would vary.  If the variation is more than 1%, then this clause applies.  If a batch plant was used for both quantities, then there could be a reduction in overhead recovery.  For example, it might cost 5 per cm for the plant set up to produce 100 cm, but only 2.5 per cm for the plant set up to produce 200 cm.  Thus the cost of production has varied by (5-2.5=2.5), which is more than 1% of the original rate.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott