Construction Law/interest

Question
Dear Sir

i am working for the client in a road project. the consultant submitted Fee Notes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 at different dates at the end of the project. Fee Notes 5 and 6 were monthly payments. 7 - 11 a for different causes eg representation at the Dispute Resolution Board. we had a problem with 5, 6 and 7 which we wrote to him stating the issues. we discused and agreed to pay him 5 as it is but do away with 6. The amount for 7 was reduced. because 6 has been cancelled the consultant had to renumber the other Fee Notes ie 7 became 6 and so on. the question is when he claims for interest on all the Fee notes (since it had taken time without effecting the payments) is interest for 8, 9, 10 and 11 calculated from the original submissin dates or from the resubmission date.

thank you

Answer
Dear Simon Motai,

Difficult one because it all depends what is written in the Contract.  I suggest that, as the Consultant made an error in his fee notes, that the interest runs from the resubmission date for the incorrect fee notes.  However, I suggest that the interest for notes 8-10, which appear to have been correct, the interest runs from the original submission date, especially as they are for independent services unconnected with his main contract.  You could have solved the problem by making Fee note 6 a zero amount and then avoiding any renumbering, which would have allowed you to pay 7-11 on time.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott