Construction Law/recover re-compensable costs

Question
Dear sir,

In the local conditions of the contract, as and when the project amount is less or greater by 15%, a remedy measures is set by stating "...the amount of the Contract Price shall be adjusted by such sum as may be agreed between the Contractor and the Engineer or, failing agreement, fixed by the Engineer having regard to all material and relevant factors, including the Contractor's Site and general overhead costs of the Contract...". Would you pls advise me what costs shall I consider to claim, and how to quantify the same.
please also advise me to see literatures relating to recovering of such costs; I have experience only in rate revision in case of quantity decrease or increase, like in FIDIC contracts.
best regards

Answer
Dear Tabor,

In  is not clear whether the Project amount has increased or it has decreased.Generally, in case of increased qty than the specified limit,the overhead cost is considered less as the contractor completed the same work within the same time frame. However if time has also taken more to complete the increased work, the contractor may claim additional overhead. If the contractor has arranged some additional resources to complete the additional qty(additional project cost,ie, greater than 15%) ,he may entitle to claim additional cost. Thus it depends upon the circumstances,resources deployed and the time factor to claim the additional amount which may be;
Site and home office over head cost,Financing cost,enhanced equipment cost and man power, material cost, etc.

However,the contractor has to substantiate that for this increased cost ,he has to incur more cost, otherwise the Engineer may reject the claimed amount and don't adjust the Contract Price.

Regards
Engr Arshad Mahmood

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood