Construction Law/Termination

Question
Dear Sir,

Background:
Contract scope is for provision of services on Call-off basis for 5 yrs contract term. Request/Work Order(RO)is issued as and when required basis for maint. of facilities (building maint. services). As per Contract Schd of Prices the  BOQ for various type services and corresponding unit rates are indicated. One line item in the  Preliminaries  is for Maint. of Contractor temp. camp facilites with unit rate/month. Contract is already past 3rd yr. now. However, all the BOQ related to services are all already exhausted as indicated in the Schd. of Prices except for line item for maint. of contractor temp. camp facilities. so, the Company/client is paying  contractor for temp. facilities monthly without having Work Order issued. Contract is silent if the BOQ is all exhausted such payment for for temp. facilities shall not be paid.  

I am in the client side. My question is, as no more Work Order to be issued, can we terminate the contract which is supposed to finish till 2016 to prevent paying for maint. temp. facilities. Termination clause says; for contractors default, client convenience etc. Also can contractor claim for full payment of the temp. facilities.

Thank you for time and to hearing from you.

kind regards.
Rotor"

Answer
Dear Rotor,

You can always terminate a contract, but how much will it cost.  You have to agree the cost effect with your contractor.  Perhaps the Contractor would be happy to terminate the contract, if it is no longer profitable.  Alternatively, the Employer might want to find further funds if there is likely to be a need for further works.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott