Construction Law/volume of work reduce

Question
Dear sir,
I am a General Contractor, I have signed a contract with to Client to construct bridge with 100m span and 31m width,the contract is governed by FIDIC. After we have signed a contract and mobilized all resources on site.Even we have started the works, the client sent us a letter that he has changing the width to 21m.What are my contractual entitlements in this situation.

thanks in advance

Answer
In your case it will be a variation to modify the works, according to clause 13. You will be entitled to recover the Costs - see the exact definitions of them, in the Clause 1 - that your company incurred in preparing to do the works as initially foreseen in your Contract. The procedure described in the Sub-clause 12.4 [Omissions] will apply, i.e. you should give a notice about having and requesting to recover these costs, and such costs will be determined by the Engineer, according to the Sub-clause 3.5.
I took here the case of a contract FIDIC 1999 Red Book, but this issue is treated similarly in other forms of FIDIC contracts, too.
Hope it helps.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea