Construction Law/Change Proposal - Floor Drain

Question
Floor Drain Response Letter
Floor Drain Response L  
Dear Sir,

I am working in a consultant company and handling a commercial and residential tower, my project base on FIDIC 1987 reprinted on 1992 and a lump sum contract. A week before i have sent one change proposal to contractor regarding the floor drain. The contractor priced the item as 360 per piece for all fitting and accessories in bill of quantity. We found recently a new design and quality floor drain which is costing me 266 only for supply.
Accordingly we propose to change the floor drain as per FIDIC condition to use the new one with additional fitting, accessories cost with contractor overhead and profit. Also we requested to provide the justification of the price (360).
Contractor provided the detailed breakup with material cost consider only 70 out of 360. It seems over priced that item. now he don't want to change the proposed material because it's affecting his saving. Whether i have the rights to change the particular item even though it's over priced.

Answer
Dear Velmurugan,

There is only one page in your attachment.  

I am not sure that I have understood your question correctly.  You have the right to change the item, but the cost must be calculated within the logic of the Contract.  Remember if the Contract was awarded to lowest bidder, then some items will have been over priced and some items under priced.  This item may be one of those overpriced to balance the items that were under priced.  I suggest that you reach a compromise.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott