Construction Law/Contract interpretation

Question
Sir
Please draw your attention to the following scenario of a domestic subcontract of Iraq Middle east and share your opinion please.

1-Subcontractor mile stone payment is due on "Installation of earthing network system"
2-"Installation of underground earthing network"is also subcontractor responsibility
3-There is also a provision in agreement, that unless expressly mentioned, subcontractor has to supply all the services etc

Exclusion for subcontractor is " installation of embedded part in/on foundation"

A conflict is developed between us, as my stance is "that exclusion of work is only for part/parts and not for the system as whole. Since earthing system/network can not be completed and functional and is not payable unless subcontractor do not perform the earthing activities within foundation"

Subcontractor claims that all embedded part is contractor responsibility so he will not perform embedded work within or on foundation

Can you please advice on above scenario

Regards
Shaiba

Answer
Dear Mohammed,

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law, so the the following comments will be generic in nature.  

I presume there is some sort of buried net or spikes that form the earthing system, which is to be bonded to the reinforcement in the (concrete0 foundations.  I presume that there are some metal (brass) fixings on the surface of the concrete to connect the reinforcement to the earthing system.  I suggest that the supply and installation of these minor fixings is outside the subcontract, but that generally the subcontractor is responsible for supply, installation and commissioning of the major parts of the earthing system, which may be be within the general area of the foundations or outside them.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott