Construction Law/Dayworks rate

Question
QUESTION: Dear Florin,

Please tell if Pn formula aplicable to Dayworks rate.In the Contract Dayworks are provisional sum.

Best Regards,

Aslan

ANSWER: Dear Aslan,

Thank you for your question.

Firstly, please let me know what Conditions of Contract are you using.

Secondly, please indicate what formula are you talking about. Is it the one under Sub-Clause 13.8 [Adjustments for Changes in Cost] of FIDIC '99?

If yes, as that Sub-Clause reads, “Pn" is the adjustment multiplier to be applied to the estimated contract value in the relevant currency of the work carried out in period "n".

Hence, normally, if there would be works carried out and valued under dayworks rates, then such value would be included in the value of works carried out in the related period "n".

But you say that ".In the Contract Dayworks are provisional sum.", which sounds strange. Can you please clarify that too?

Please thus read again carefully the Contract, provide above requested clarifications and as the case may be, revise your own question.

Look forward hearing again from you.

QUESTION: Dear Florin,

Sorry that I did not mention about Contract Conditions.
We working under FIDIC 2006.
Pn formula under Subclause 13.8.
Yes in the BOQ it mentioned that Dayworks sum is provisional sum.
What about provisional sum is it subjected to Price Adujstment by Pn formula?

Best Regards,

Aslan

Answer
Dear Aslan,

Thank you for coming back. That must be the Pink Book.

In theory, Provisional Sums should not be included in that Pn, but to me it is still weird how can someone define the daywork rates as Provisional Sum.

Something is just not right.

Please send me that definition of the Dayworks.

Will reply sometimes later this evening, as now I have to go away from my computer.

Construction Law

Florin NICULESCU