Construction Law/Extra work/extension of time/claim for additional money

Question
Dear Sir,
please draw your attention to this situation. The contractor is building a road under FIDIC 2006 however the subcontract is a non-fidic one. As of today we are facing some extra work not accounted in BOQ and unaccounted in the initial design. What shall we do in this case, shall we initiate a Variation order, should we request a clear contractor's instruction to perform these works, shall we ask reimbursement for extra work and extension of time for completion. We had asked them to guarantee of payment for the extra work, the contractor replied saying that the works would be paid in accordance with the contract.
Thank you.

Answer
Dear Qalandar

Thanks for the question. I am sorry for the late response. Although the main contractor is working through FIDIC 2006, yet your subcontract shall be governed by the contract which you entered into with the main Contractor. Please check the payment clause to see the provision therein. The payment is back to back or you have your own BOQ to follow. If the payment is back to back then you will get only that item for which the contractor will be paid. In the other case you will be paid for the BOQ in your contract.

In both the cases, you need to obtain an instruction or a Variation Order from the main contractor for carrying out any other work not covered under your contract, clearly stating the nature of work to be done, the time allowed and the method of payment. In absence of such a document you may end up doing all the work without any compensation. The plea of the main contractor will be that he was also not paid by the Employer. Please note that unless you have such an instruction or a V.O, you will end up without compensation in most of the cases.

I hope the question is answered.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan