Construction Law/Killer subcontract clauses

Dear Sir,
We are about to enter into a subcontract for road construction with the main subcontractor from Europe. As you are aware subcontracts are all drawn up one-sidedly leaving not enough room for the subcontractor to take actions against the contractor. And the Subcontract we have been offered to sign seems to me as butchered contract from which important clauses for the benefit of the subcontractor are omitted. Thus my attention is what are the main clauses the Subcontractor shall draw its attention, I can say, subcontractor protecting clauses. Are there any FIDIC subcontracts we can utilize or look at? We are little experienced in this area.
Your help is appreciated.

Dear Adilbek

Thank you for your question.

I believe the firs thing to look at, is if your main contractr is willing to discuss any other form or not.

Yes, there is a FIDIC form of subcontracting agreement, but again, you need your counterpart to agree to use it.

Hope that answer your question.  

Construction Law

Questions related to Civil Engineering Contracts, using FIDIC or other Conditions of Contract, concerning Procurement procedures and documents (pre-qualification, tendering and contracting) and Services/ Works Contracts implementation matters including Determinations, Payments, Time Extensions, VOs, Claims/Disputes. Additionally, questions related to dealing with International Financing Institutions. Can also answer questions in Romanian. Can not answer improperly formulated questions.

Over 20 years of experience in the field of design, works supervision, construction, management of aid funds and technical assistance for various types of contracts implementation, including severe conflictual contractual situations leading to Claims and disputes. Claims/ Contract management, Disputes adjudication, Arbitration.

Member of Romanian Professional Association of Roads and Bridges; Listed on President's List of Adjudicators of Romanian Association of Consulting Engineers Former member of the Disputes Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF) of United States – nominee on DRBF President’s Disputes Board Members List and of DRBF Chapter for Eastern Europe Former member of Polish Association of Consulting Engineers (SIDiR) – nominee on SIDiR President’s Disputes Board Members National List Member of “” volunteers pool Member of the "Constructions Disputes Resolution Services” International Panel of Construction ADR Specialists" of United States

- Graduate in 1994 the Construction Institute - Graduate of several FIDIC,Procurement and other courses - Graduate of first Disputes Board Members Mentoring Scheme ( - FIDIC Accredited Adjudicator

- Several State organisations/Ministries , such as Ministry of Transport, National Admistration of Roads, Ministry of Regional Development (former Ministry of European Integration), Public Works and Housing, Central Contracting and Financing Unit in Romania and also in Turkey, Croatia and Macedonia - Numerous Western based private consultancy companies - full CV and other relevant information available at