Construction Law/The notice of default and the Engineer' Decision

Question
Dear Sir,

We have a contract based on FIDIC 1987. the Contractor sent a notice of default under 69.1 to the Employer due to a delayed payment. the contract does not entitle the Contractor to issue such notice because it requires two consecutive payments which is not the case here. now the question is: if the Employer refers this issue to the Engineer for his decision under 67.1, can the Contractor state that the 45-days period does not stop (knowing that this period is not applicable because the notice is not right) for the period during which the Engineer issues his decision?

thanks.

Answer
Dear Jad,

I see nothing about two consecutive payments in clause 69.1 a).  Perhaps there is something in the particular conditions.  Clause 67.1 refers to 84 days for an Engineer's Decision, not 45 days. The contractor can say what he wants, but will he be correct contractually.  

My advice would be to make sure that the Contractor is paid on time in accordance with Contract.  Money is the oxygen of construction.  The body dies without oxygen and a contractor goes bankrupt without money.  If you do not pay him, the first response to any comment about progress is that I don't have the money to pay my suppliers so I cannot get the necessary materials.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott