Construction Law/Omission of work

Question
Dear Sir,

I am working for a Construction Company in UAE. Our Contract is based on FIDIC  1999 ( red book) and Contract is for construction of  10 story office building but  recently  Engineer  ( as instructed by the Employer )  issue variation  order to  omit 4 floors from the building. It is about 30% of Contract Sum.  Could you kindly mention :
1.   what are the possible claim available for the Contractor and under what Clauses?
2.   Can contractor ask for loss of profit due to huge omission?
Your kind respond is highly appreciated.
Thank  you & best Regards.

Answer
Dear Ruwan,

It is difficult.  You need to prove actual loss.  You could look at the paper by Zack on loss of overheads and profit, which is more focused on extensions of time.  http://cmaanet.org/files/home_office_overhead.pdf he uses different formulae to calculate the amount.  It is interesting.  

1. You claim under clause 20.1
2. You can claim loss of profit, but it is difficult and you have to show auditted accounts for several years.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott