Construction Law/Related to Formula for Escalation

Question
Formula for Escalation- Labour component
V1 = 0.85 P K1/100 *(L1-L0)/L0

Where, V1 = Amount of price variation,
P    = Cost of work done during the period,
K1  = Percentage of labour component in the project cost,
L0   = Basic consumer price index,
L1   = Average consumer price index
Formula for material component shall be similar as above with appropriate changes to the material specific.
Q1. Why 0.85 of P is taken.
Q2. In case, while estimating any work contractors profit restricted to 7.5 % instead of 15 %. Is the formula changes to 0.925 0f P.

Answer
Dear Kishor Kalita

Thanks for your question. You have not mentioned the type of Contract. If You can provide me with more details about this clause then I may provide good input. However I may add that the factor 0.85 does not relate to profit of the contractor but I understand that this relates to the variable component of the Contract Price and 15% is being considered as fixed component and escalation is not applied to this 0.15 component. If we agree on this understanding then Q 2 has already been explained which means that the factor 0.85 will remain the same and is independent of contractor's profit.

I hope the question is answered. However if there is some confusion then kindly send me the complete clause and I will explain it.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan