Construction Law/Advance payment

Question
Sir,

I am working for a reputed construction company. We have not released advance payment to the subcontractor although he had submitted advance payment guarantee 2 months back. I wanted to know whether the subcontractor will be entitled for time and cost claims in such a case. Also whether the subcontractor can terminate the subcontract in case of non issuance of advance payment. Please note that there is no clause in the subcontract which specifies the timeline for payment of advance or the termination in case of non payment.

Please guide me on this matter

Regards

Answer
Dear Girish,

You do not mention the form of contract, nor the applicable law so the following comments will be generic.

I assume that you are in breach of contract due to your failure to pay the advance payment.  Under common law you are guilty of prevention (or Sharia law, unjust enrichment).  You must reinstate the subcontractor into the position that he would have been prior to your breach. The subcontractor could sue you through the courts, but that would be expensive and long.  What would you do, if the subcontractor suspended work or went slow or terminated the contract due to lack of funds?  Realistically, the subcontractor will be hurting and you have no lever to persuade him to work at a reasonable speed.  I work on the principle that prompt payment ensure good results.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott