Construction Law/Building Handover

Question
QUESTION: Dear Peter,

I have a contract for the building of the addition which is finalizing now.

What is the procedure for the finalizing and how to assure that the contractor paid his subcontractors and materialman and that there is no lien on the property etc.

Also he wants get paid in full before receiving the certificate of occupancy and I was told by the city officials that we did not pass electrical inspection.

Our contract also says construction company must give us 10 years warranty. How to assure this company will really come back when I have a construction problem during warranty time.

Please give me advice what we should do. Thank you very much

Answer
Dear Nushaba,

You must do a punch list of incomplete and non-compliant work for rectification/completion by the constructor.  I tried to find something appropriate, but you can get a general idea from these websites  
http://www.bchousing.org/resources/Partner_Resources/Building_handover/Building_

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110118095356/http://www.cabe.org.uk/
http://h2guide.co.uk/delivery/manage-handover/

I guess that you could reduce them to be appropriate to your project.  

You need to get a Release of Lien from the constructor before you pay him any money.  It will protect you from claims from suppliers and subcontractors.  You can find more on the internet.

Once you have paid the constructor, then you have no lever to get work done.  Make sure that he provides the certificate of occupancy before you pay him and does the work necessary for the approval of the electrical work.    

Warranties are only as good as the person signing them.  Normally, they are backed by a professional organisation or by an insurance company.  Have a word with your better business bureau to see what is required in your area.  In larger projects, it is normal to withhold about 5% of the project value until the end of the Defects Notification Period, usually one year, but on smaller projects, it could be difficult to impose.  Hopefully, you will not have any problems.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott