Construction Law/Insurance for clients materials

Dear Sir,
We are doing water transmission project in Bahrain. in this contract the DI pipes supply by client. In insurance consultant asking to insure the client materials also but in tender stage we don't know the value of the client materials and we didn't consider it Insurance Item in BOQ price.

Is this client materials insurance our obligation or not  and if we can claim that additional premium charges from client for that client materials insurance.

please reply me.

Dear Chamara,

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law, so the following comments will be generic.  

It all depends what it says in the Contract.  Normally, you would be responsible for any loss or damage to the Client's materials until the taking over certificate is issued.  It would be unusual for you to claim an extra payment for insuring the Client's materials.  I think that you will find that you are already covered under your Contractor's All Risks Policy or your third party liability policy.  I would contact my insurance provider and ask them.  

Next time check before you sign the contract.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering