Construction Law/interim Claims Sub-Clause 20.1

Dear Sir,

FIDIC MDB Harmonized Conditions are being implemented in our Contract. In accordance with the Clause 20.1 of GCC, the Contractor has the obligation to send further interim claims to the Engineer if the event or circumstances giving rise to claim has a continuing effect. I have following questions:

(i)   Has the Contractor required to submit interim claim in case of legislation claim or simply add the interim claim amounts in Monthly Statements?
(ii)   Is it the obligation of the Engineer to respond approval or disapproval in case of each interim claim?
(iii)   In case of approval of interim claim, if the Engineer does not respond to the approved interim claim, then it can be construed as the interim claim is rejected by the Engineer?

Dear Umer

If circumstances giving rise to claim has a continuing effect then once the original claim is accepted, the subsequent claims submitted in the forthcoming Monthly Statements shall be verified as per certification of the Monthly Statements. The only difference is that amount of such claim should be mentioned separately. This will continue until the Engineer finds something new or not in accordance with the already approved claim.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan

I am interested in questions related to time Extension, Liquidated Damages,variations, price adjustments,payments, disputes and Dispute Board under FIDIC IV, FIDIC 1999 and FIDIC 2006 Harmonized Documents.

I have been heading the Construction Management Division and Contract Divisions of National Engineering Services Pakistan (PVT) Limited, NESPAK, the largest Consulting Engineering Firm in Pakistan, for more than seven years and two years respectively. I have also worked as "The Engineer" on a number of projects. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for about seven years on a road projects. Additionally I worked as Arbitrator and am member of few Dispute Boards in individual capacity on Asian Development Bank funded projects.

Inland and in Middle East. I have worked with National Engineering Services Pakistan (Pvt) Limited (NESPAK)as my Employer for more than 27 years in Pakistan. In Saudi Arabia I worked for Rashid Engineering, Consulting Engineers during 80s. After retirement I provided advisory services to NESPAK on technical and contractual matters to its various divisions and lately I was appointed as Advisor to Managing Director NESPAK on Technical and Contractual matters. Currently I work as Free Lance Contract Specialist on Fidic Form of Contracts.

I am a graduate with a B.E (Civil Engineering) degree. My year of graduation is 1970.

A few appreciation Letters and Honorariums during my service in NESPAK. I remained member of Administrative Committee and Board of Management of NESPAK. I had been part of the Management Committee in the absence of Managing Director.

Most of the Clients used to be Government Departments, Corporations and Authorities. In Saudi Arabia the Client was Ministry of Communications. As Arbitrator and Dispute Board (DB) member, I provide services to various Government Departments and Contractors.