Construction Law/New Rate

Question
Dear Sir,

In our Contract which is based on 2010 FIDIC MDB Harmonized Conditions of Contract and a remeasurement Contract. It was observed that there is a discrepancy between the Bill of Quantities and Drawings/Technical Specifications. Drawings & Specifications shows that a RCC parapet wall is to be constructed on both sides of the bridge but relevant Bill of BoQ does not contain any such item instead a GI Pipe railing item is included which is not relevant to requisite work.

Preamble to BoQ does not explain this issue. However Sub-Clause 12.3 [Evaluation] states that if there is no such item of work in BoQ then the appropriate rate or price shall be the rate specified for similar work. It was noticed that the no similar work as per Sub-Clause b(iii) was available in the BoQ.

How this issue to be resolved/ remedied under the Contract?

I feel that Only Sub-Clause 12.3 (b) addressed this issue by evaluating a new rate of work. Conditions (ii) & (iii) are fulfilled but question is how the Engineer will issue Instruction for Variation in order to fulfill criteria (i) because this work is already specified in the Drawings & Specifications and these have priority over Bill of Quantities as per Sub-Clause 1.5 GCC.

Please advise.

UMER SHABBIR

Answer
Dear Umer Shabbir,

The Engineer writes to the Contractor asking for his price to do the work.  The Contractor submits his price.  The Engineer agrees or negotiates.  The Engineer issues an instruction to delete one item from the BoQ and add another item.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott